I don’t really like meme’s, but I thought I’d do one, if for no other reason than to stave off the tumbleweeds that blow through here pretty regularily. So, I’m supposed to write 7 random book things about me.
1. I’m kind of obsessive about books. I keep track of all the books I own, all the books I’ve read, and all the books I want on goodreads.com. If I’ve read, or am planning on reading it, then it’s recorded there.
2. I like to own the books I enjoy. Even if I don’t know if I’m going to read them again.
3. I must own all the books that George RR Martin has written, although I’m confused as to the order of his Wildcards books, and if they’re actually written by him at all.
4. My signed George RR Martin books are important to me. I think I would grab Kitten, the cats, and my books in case of a fire. I’m not even sure that I would grab my scrapbooks, but I would definitely get my GRRM books. Also: I have paperback copies of my GRRM books to lend out, so I don’t have to lend my pretties out. Did I mention obsessive?
5. If I buy books, I need the cover art/style and size to match within a series. I have been known to re-purchase a whole series (Georgia Nicholson) so the books match. If the size is the same but the books don’t match, it doesn’t bother me as much… but it depends on how much I love the series. It would make me crazy to have a series part in hardcover and part in mass market paperback, enough so that I won’t buy a hardcover book on clearance, unless it’s a stand alone book or I have the rest of the series in hardcover (like Lawhead’s Hood series).
6. I don’t mind buying used books. As much as I really want my books to look pretty and be in very good condition (I get cranky when people crack my spines), I don’t seem to mind buying used. For my “important” books, I will only buy new, but otherwise it doesn’t seem to matter to me.
7. My favourite used bookstore is in this tiny little mall with, like 4 legitimate stores, a Safeway grocery store and offices. They let you trade books in, rather than having to sell & buy, which is SUCH a better deal. Especially when I will take in new or like new books (I’ll be taking in the Outlander series right away). I like to buy my new books from where ever I can get them cheapest… which means that sometimes I buy books at Walmart. I know this makes me a bad person, and I apologize.
That’s it. I’m not going to tag anyone, but if you do post this on your blog, let me know so I can read your 7 random book things!